Leading up to the wonderous Goodwood Revivalevent in Chichester we are going to focus on ‘getting the look’ so not only the cars will be ‘wowing’ that weekend!
Having traded for the last 4 years of the event we have some great ideas and tips for getting the right look for the weekend. Ok, not looking so sophisticated in the photo above but it does highlight the fun to be had, so don’t let outfit pitfalls spoil the days spirits!
There are loads of brilliant videos and images to help you get your outfit together, so we’re going to try to tailor your ideas to the occasion of Goodwood Revival. The above outfits featured on an authentic 1940s dress pattern are perfect for the weekend, the weather has been predictably changeable the last few years so an outfit that incorperates a jacket or coat is ideal, a tailored suit is a good look that will be weather proof. A gorgeous summer dress won’t look so great with a cagoul thrown over it in a rain emergency so a fitted jacket or stylish swing coat is era appropriate, or atleast a cardigan and vintage style umbrella will do the job!
The above images were snaps taken at a 1940’s fashion show we curated, all the outfits were put together with authentic and 40s looking items, it doesn’t all have to be from the era, you’ll spot more moderm items that are very much influenced by the 1940 silhouette that aren’t true vintage.
Here is our top 5 survival tips for girls for the Goodwood Revival weekend:
- Think about your outerwear, a warm coat or jacket in case its not the Indian summer we’d like
- Wearable shoes, theres lots of walking to be done so don’t wear heels you can’t handle, or new shoes you’ve not worn in. Vintage shoes can really make the look but beware they are old so check soles are stable and seams are strong, you don’t want a heel falling off over lunch, and we’ve seen this more than once!
- Spare stockings/tights, ladders do happen or you may want to double up as the chilly evening sets in
- If you’re going authentic check fabric is strong, inspect seams and zips, older items can be fragile and a full days wear can be too much for an old zipper, ensure your outfit is truelly wearable so as not to ruin your day with emergency make do and mend or an expensive last minute alternative!
- Plasters, safety pins, paracetamol, in case your shoes rub, that zip breaks and the noisy car engines give you a headache!
Going for a modern outfit that has ‘the 40s look’ isn’t frowned upon but a few authentic accesories will take it to the next level and add originality, visit our shop for ideas, click on the images for more details:
We have produced a fab little video to help you get a very British 1940s look, take a peek here
Next week we’ll focus on how to get a great 1950s look for Goodwood Revival.